Administrative Assistant Cover Letter Example
Administrative assistants are true chaos coordinators tasked with answering phones, booking appointments, and organizing the office. They also compose emails, plan meetings, take minutes, and maintain a business filing system. When crafting a cover letter, administrative assistant applicants must be concise while showcasing their abilities. Not sure how to structure your administrative assistant cover letter? Our sample cover letter for administrative assistants and practical tips will help you stand out from other applicants. Let’s dive in.
Why a profession-specific cover letter matters
A generic administrative assistant cover letter, CV, and resume are going to get lost in the shuffle, especially if you are applying for a sought-after position with dozens of applicants. On the other hand, a profession-specific administrative assistant cover letter showcases that you understand the responsibilities and scope of the job you’re applying for.
When you make your administrative assistant cover letter profession-specific, you can set yourself apart from other applicants. Hiring managers will realize that you are passionate about the opportunity and familiar with the role. You can showcase job-specific skills and abilities that demonstrate your fit for the position.
Key components of an Administrative Assistant’s cover letter
Every administrative assistant cover letter needs a few key components, including:
- Introduction: Briefly introduce yourself, state the position you are applying for, and mention where you found the job listing
- Relevant Experience: Highlight your experience as an administrative assistant, focusing on your most recent role
- Education: If you have a degree or any certifications that are relevant to the role, mention them briefly in your cover letter, but reserve the detailed version for your resume
- Skills and Qualifications: Detail any technical skills you have that would help you succeed in the role, as well as soft skills like communication and teamwork
- A Summary of Why You're Interested: Explain why you are interested in the position and company, focusing on benefits like the opportunity for growth and personal development
- Company-Specific Information: Show that you have researched the prospective employer and understand the organization’s specific values and company culture
- Closing Statement: End with a call to action, reiterating your excitement to discuss your qualifications in more detail during an interview
Want to see how these components fit into an administrative assistant cover letter? Check out Jobseeker’s administrative assistant cover letter examples. We also have profession-specific CV and resume examples for your review.
Admin Assistant Cover letter format
While the content of your administrative assistant cover letter needs to be profession-specific information, the format is standardized. Your cover letter should include:
- Header: Your contact information, followed by the date and the employer’s contact information
- Salutation: Greet the hiring manager by name if possible
- Introduction: State the purpose of your letter and your interest in the administrative assistant position
- Body: Write 2-3 paragraphs covering your experience, why you want to work for the company, and how you can make an impact
- Conclusion: End by reiterating your excitement and include a professional closing
Every cover letter should include these sections and be limited to one page. Now, let’s get into cover letter examples for administrative assistants.
Sample cover letter for administrative assistants
42 Oak Lane
San Francisco, CA 94016
Industrial Solutions, Inc.
456 Industrial Park Dr.
San Francisco, CA 94016
15 November 2023
Dear Ms. Johnson,
I am writing to express my strong interest in the administrative assistant position at Industrial Solutions, Inc., as advertised on Jobseeker. With a proven track record in office administration and a passion for efficient organizational practices, I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to your team and support the dynamic work environment at Innovative Solutions.
Currently, I serve as an administrative assistant at West Coast Carriers, where I am responsible for managing complex schedules, coordinating logistics for corporate events, and maintaining a highly organized filing system. One of my key achievements in this role was the reorganization of our office's document management system, which improved file retrieval times by 30% and significantly enhanced overall office efficiency.
My motivation for seeking a role at Industrial Solutions, Inc. stems from your company’s commitment to innovation and excellence in client services. I am particularly drawn to the opportunity to be part of a team that values collaboration and creativity. I bring a strong skill set in managing administrative tasks, including advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite and a knack for learning new software and systems. My experience in handling confidential information with discretion and my ability to adapt to varying workloads and shifting priorities make me an ideal fit for the fast-paced environment at your company.
In my previous roles, I have demonstrated a commitment to maintaining high standards of organization and professionalism. I am known for my ability to anticipate needs and proactively address challenges, ensuring smooth office operations. I am confident that my proactive approach, attention to detail, and dedication to high-quality administrative support will contribute to the success of Industrial Solutions, Inc. Moreover, my commitment to personal growth and development will allow me to evolve with the business and meet your team’s shifting administrative support needs.
I am eager to discuss how my background, skills, and enthusiasm make me a perfect match for this position. I am available for an interview at your earliest convenience and can be best reached at (555) 123-4567 or via email at Janesmith@gmail.com.
Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to join Industrial Solutions, Inc. and contribute to the efficiency and success of your team.
Dos and don’ts
Now that we have explored some administrative assistant cover letter examples, let’s cover some basic dos and don’ts that you need to remember.
- Use administrative assistant cover letter templates
- Use matching resume templates
- Customize your content for each job application
- Use professional language and a respectful tone
- Highlight specific achievements with measurable results
- Repeat your resume verbatim
- Write a multi-page cover letter or fill it with fluff
- Neglect to proofread
- Use mismatched templates
Pay close attention to the list of don’ts, as a few missteps can derail an otherwise engaging administrative assistant cover letter. Typos, useless fluff, and rambling are off-putting to hiring managers. A concise, error-free administrative assistant cover letter will go a long way in landing you a job interview.
Also, make sure you don’t use the copy-and-paste approach when applying to multiple jobs. Even if the roles and responsibilities are the same, fine-tune your administrative assistant cover letter for each position.
As you can see, a lot goes into your administrative assistant cover letter. Here are a few extra tips to help you stand out:
- Review Examples: Check out administrative assistant cover letters, resumes, and CV examples for inspiration
- Show Off Your Soft Skills: While technical abilities are important, don’t forget to mention soft skills like communication, organization, and teamwork
- Provide Statistics to Support Your Claims: For instance, if you cut down on call waiting times at your previous job by 25%, make sure to provide those specifics to illustrate and support your claims
- Tailor Your Language to the Company Culture: Mirror your content to the tone of the job description, so if the job posting emphasizes teamwork and a family-like culture, include similar language in your administrative assistant cover letter
Use these tips to create a balanced cover letter. Be enthusiastic but professional. Show off your wealth of skills, but make sure not to ramble. Balance is the key.
Create your cover letter for administrative assistants with Jobseeker
Creating a profession-specific cover letter for an administrative assistant role is an opportunity to show off your skills and experience. Remember to tailor it to the role and company, focus on their culture, and highlight what makes you a great fit for the job. By following these tips and avoiding common missteps, you can create an engaging cover letter that captures the attention of the hiring team.
Need some additional tips to help you land that administrative assistant job? Check out Jobseeker’s administrative assistant resume example and CV templates. These free resources will take the hassle out of crafting your administrative assistant cover letter.