Teacher Cover Letter Example
Have you ever walked into a classroom buzzing with excitement, ready to teach and inspire? That’s exactly the vibe you need to bring to your teacher cover letter. This helpful guide will break down how to write a cover letter for teachers and provide some practical tips you can use to shine in the hiring process.
Why a teacher-specific cover letter matters
When it comes to writing a cover letter, teachers like yourself must take this opportunity to set a great first impression.
A cookie-cutter letter won’t cut it. Yours needs to pop out if you want the school’s hiring manager to notice it while flipping through a stack of applications. The goal is to craft a letter that speaks to what that particular school is all about and how you fit in.
Your teacher cover letter is like your own little personal ad. It’s where you show that you’re not just any teacher but the right one for the school.
But don’t forget, a killer teacher cover letter is just the start. You need to pair it with an equally impressive resume to really open doors.
Need help with your resume? We’ve got resume examples to give you an edge.
Key components of a teacher-specific cover letter
When composing your teacher cover letter, make sure it exhibits the same basic qualities as a good lesson plan — structured, informative, and engaging. Just like a lesson plan, your teacher cover letter needs to include some key components, including the following:
- Personalized Greeting: Address the principal or hiring committee by name to show you’ve done your homework
- Introduction: Explain why you’re excited about this specific school and role, mentioning a specific program, initiative, or ethos that resonates with you
- Your Teaching Philosophy: Briefly outline your teaching philosophy and how it mirrors the school’s values, mission statement, and culture
- Relevant Experience: Highlight your teaching experiences, prioritizing achievements that have yielded a tangible benefit for students
- Classroom Management Techniques: Give examples of the classroom management style and techniques you use to maintain a positive learning environment
- Closing: Reiterate your excitement about the opportunity and discuss how you can contribute to the school.
Finally, thank your audience for reviewing your application and include your contact details and preferred method of communication. If you don’t hear back within a week or two, consider reaching out to the principal or hiring committee. It’s perfectly acceptable to send a follow-up email if you don’t receive a response to your application.
Teacher cover letter format
Formatting is crucial, as it makes your letter easy to read and professional. Keep your cover letter to a single page, use a standard font, and stick to the following layout:
- Header: Your contact information should be at the top of your teacher cover letter
- Greeting: Address the recipient by name
- Introduction: State your name, the position you’re applying for, and why you believe you’d be a good fit
- Body: Highlight your qualifications, experience, and teaching philosophy
- Closing: Thank the readers for their time, list your contact information again, and briefly restate your interest in the position
Like teacher cover letters, CVs also need to follow a standardized format. Our CV templates can help you create a complete CV that provides employers with all the information they need to evaluate your job fit.
Sample cover letter for teachers
123 Main St
Miami, Florida 33101
Sunnyside High School
456 Broadway Ave
Miami, Florida 33101
Dear Principal Clark,
My name is Tom Jones, and I am applying for the 10th-grade math teacher position at Sunnyside High School, as listed on Jobseeker. As an experienced and enthusiastic educator passionate about fostering a collaborative and engaging learning environment, I was thrilled to learn about the opening at your school. With my extensive background in developing curriculum and integrating innovative teaching techniques, I am confident in my ability to contribute to the success of Sunnyside High School and, more importantly, the development of its students.
Currently, as an 8th-grade algebra teacher at Beachside High School, I manage a classroom of 20 students. I have successfully implemented project-based learning strategies, resulting in a notable increase in student engagement, pass rates, and academic achievement. I teach standard, advanced, and AP algebra courses, which affords me the opportunity to nurture and challenge students in all stages of their educational journey. Additionally, I have been recognized as the 2022 Teacher of the Year, highlighting my dedication to academic excellence and student development.
My teaching philosophy revolves around encouraging student curiosity, critical thinking, and individual expression. I strive to create a classroom atmosphere where students feel heard, valued, and empowered. I was particularly drawn to Sunnyside High School due to its commitment to furthering math education through its innovative programs. I am eager to contribute my skills to aid in these initiatives.
I am also interested in assisting with the continued success of Sunnyside High School’s flourishing football program, and I believe that my background in the sport enables me to make unique contributions to your diverse student community. I am committed not just to educating students but also to mentoring them to ensure their holistic development and well-being.
I am excited about the opportunity to bring my dynamic blend of skills and experience to Sunnyside High School and have faith in my potential to create a vibrant and effective learning environment that caters to the needs of each student. I look forward to discussing how my passion for education and coaching aligns with your school’s goals.
Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to further discussing how I can contribute to the ongoing success and growth of Sunnyside High School. I can be reached by phone at (305) 123-4567 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dos and Don’ts
Now that we’ve covered the basics of teacher cover letter examples, let’s outline some “dos” and “don’ts” to help you create your own outstanding teacher cover letter.
- Tailor each cover letter to the school and position
- Use specific examples to demonstrate your impact as a teacher
- Keep your letter concise and focused
- Proofread for grammar and spelling errors
- Outline your teaching philosophy
- Provide a brief story that highlights the efficacy of your teaching practices
- Use a generic letter that could be sent to multiple employers
- Simply repeat your resume
- Tell your life story
- Overload with jargon or buzzwords (clarity is key)
- Go over one page — respect the principal’s time
It’s crucial to ensure that your CV or resume complements your teacher cover letter. It shouldn’t simply reiterate the information covered in your CV but should instead provide an illustrative overview of your unique skills, values, beliefs, and achievements.
Writing an exceptional teacher cover letter can be tough, especially if you’ve never crafted one before. Fortunately, there are plenty of tried and true tips to help you along the way. We suggest doing the following:
- Research: Take some time to learn about the school’s culture, programs, and achievements, as this knowledge will help you personalize your teacher cover letter
- Show Passion: Schools want educators who are enthusiastic and committed, so let your love of teaching shine through
- Be Specific: Spell out what makes you a great candidate and avoid vague terms like “awesome teacher”
- Include a Call to Action: End with a statement expressing how eager you are to sit down with the principal to discuss how you can contribute to the school
A fantastic teacher cover letter can mean the difference between an interview and a rejection email. However, you’ll need a great resume or CV to pair with your teacher cover letter. Make sure you review some CV examples before submitting your application.
Excel with our teacher cover letter samples
A teacher cover letter is your tool for setting a great first impression, connecting with hiring teams, and demonstrating that you’re a good fit for the school you’re applying to.
Nailing your cover letter can be tough, but the good news is that you don’t have to go through the process alone. Turn to Jobseeker for support.
Ready to write a winning teacher cover letter and land that all-important interview? If so, we can help. Check out our teacher cover letter templates and jumpstart your writing process. We can also simplify your resume and CV writing journey with our resume template.